I've been working on a small game engine and have built a small game around it. This game is currently dubbed
'Plane Game' as it involves aeroplanes and is played on a geometrical plane.
The current public version is available for windows here - please note this is only a very early version and not complete
The engine is built with the following aims:
- Opportunity for me to learn, practise and experiment
- Small and fast
- Open GL, Open AL and SDL base
- Wrapped so easy to port to other libraries/architectures - perhaps DirectX
- Currently builds on Linux and Cygwin (gcc) and Windows (Visual Studio)
- Integer only maths
This game is in it's infancy and is a throwback to some games I used to play - Sopwith (PC), BIP (Amiga), Wings of fury(Amiga)
and even Barnstorming(Atari 2600). The player controls an aeroplane and your aim is to destroy enemy planes and tanks.
|-Tab-||Reset world to start|
To take off and maintain speed whilst in flight hold down the X button, then fly and shoot.
I'm keeping a to-do list for the game, in no particular order:
- Artwork assets - improve on programmer art, sorry
- Complete the sound code and get better assets
- High scores table - improve and make graphical
- Perhaps have aeroplanes pull in banners - leave smoke trails
- Network play
- COLLADA import, use 3D meshes rather than sprites
- Make terrain more interesting
- Add depth - still only fly in one plane but can move in/out of the screen to adjacent planes
- Improved sky and clouds
- Give different difficulty levels
- Add new types of weapons and bombs (make it possible to land and refuel and reload
- Add different types of planes/tanks
- Improve this website, add Linux binary distribution - open source code?
- Port to other architecture - iPhone?
Please do send me any comments you may have.